The new gimmick of this generation is Terastallizing, which allows you to change the type of your Pokémon to its Tera-type. This gives the Pokémon the defensive strengths and weaknesses of the new type, as well as a new STAB (same-type-attack-bonus). However, you retain your old STABs, so a Pokémon could potentially have three STABs to play with! Furthermore, if the Tera-type is the same as your Pokémon’s original type, your STAB will double.
Mystery Gifts are also back in this game, and players can receive a Flying-Tera-type Pikachu, with the move Fly, between November 18th 2022 – February 28th 2023. Here’s how to add this powerful Tera-Pokémon to your team!
How to receive your Mystery Gift Flying-Tera Type Pikachu:
- Make it to the top of the lighthouse and have the academy pointed out to you (thanks Gamerant).
- This unlocks the Poké Portal – the internet feature of the game.
- Press X.
- Go to ‘Poké Portal’.
- Press ‘Mystery Gift’.
- Press ‘Get via Internet’.
- Receive the Pikachu.
- Go to your boxes to find your new friend!
How to Terastalize:
- Get close to Mesagoza.
- Encounter Team Star.
- Receive the Tera Orb from Nemona.
- Complete the battle.
- The next time you fight, you will be able to Terastralize your Pokémon, including your Pikachu!