McLeodGaming has officially launched Fraymakers, the infinitely replayable indie platform fighter, on Kickstarter recently, and it looks to be an exciting addition to the platform fighter genre, especially after Nintendo’s recent actions against The Big House.
For those unfamiliar, Greg McLeod, the programming lead and owner of McLeodGaming, is the one responsible for Super Smash Flash 2 on PC, and he is an incredible programmer that will do right by all of the indie characters involved in this bold project.
What is Fraymakers?
Fraymakers features a main cast of beautifully-sprited and hand-animated characters, detailed stages from their worlds, and a massive selection of assists from a broad selection of indie titles!
They have spared no detail or expense: the members of the playable cast feature full platform fighter movesets with no cut corners (that’s over 80 high-resolution custom animations per character!). The team even developed their own rollback netcode implementation for the best possible online multiplayer experience. They are making the game they have always wanted to play: the ultimate celebration of everything that they love about the indie game community and everything they have learned from over 13 years of making platform fighters!
If that’s not enough, Fraymakers will be released simultaneously with FrayTools, the robust custom tool McLeodGaming is using to build the core content of the game itself at no extra charge. Using FrayTools, not only can you build your own characters, you can also create assists, stages, menus, modes, and more using a program that’s designed to make the experience as efficient, user-friendly, and versatile as possible. Your options for new gameplay experiences are limited only by your imagination… or for the less creatively inclined, by your download speed.
McLeodGaming selected and designed their roster with the primary goal of ensuring a high degree of playstyle diversity while staying true to each character’s source material. Each member of the cast brings something completely unique to the table in terms of both their mechanics and strategies.
- Welltaro (Downwell): a uniquely vertical character who uses a variety of spikes and downward-aimed projectiles to wrack up heavy damage!
- Orcane (Rivals of Aether): a trickster who uses a variety of synergistic water-based powers to control the stage and keep his opponents guessing!
- Ultra Fishbunjin 3000 (Slap City): a bulky heavy who’s capable of dishing out absolutely obscene damage in fewer hits than anyone else around!
- The Watcher (Slay the Spire): a stance-based character that alters her own physics with her unique Calm, Wrath, and Divinity stances!
- Octodad (Octodad series): a tactical character who takes advantage of the unique motions and long reach that are made possible by his stretchy, flexible limbs!
- CommanderVideo (BIT.TRIP series): a fast, aggressive character that dishes out a high-speed sliding offense to overwhelm his foes!
The game looks absolutely amazing and only looks like it will get better from here. Please take a moment to head to the Kickstarter page to learn more and back the project if you can.
There is no word on whether or not Fraymakers will be releasing on a Nintendo console, but it is difficult to not see the inspiration the game received from Super Smash Bros. The world is desperate for another brand in the platform fighter genre, and I think McLeodGaming has a winner with this one.
Please keep an eye here for more news and updates regarding this top-tier indie title.
Thank you so much for stopping by Nintendo Link for all of your indie news and Kickstarter updates. What do you think of this ambitious project from Greg McLeod? Will you be backing this one? Let us know in the comments below! Happy gaming, everyone.
What's Your Reaction?
My name is Jason Capp. I am a husband, father, son, and brother, and I am a gamer, a writer, and a wannabe pro wrestler. It is hard to erase the smile on this simple man.