Thanks for reading! If you enjoy this article consider subscribing to our newsletter for a chance to win a $10 eshop gift card every week!
No More Robots and developer Cheesemaster Games have announced that the life simulator RPG Spirittea is launching on the Nintendo Switch some time this summer! Spirittea features both life simulator and management gameplay, and the title takes place in rural East Asia with players fixing up an old bathhouse and helping dozens of spirits to find their peace. The game was funded on Kickstarter back in January 2020, and it looks like we are finally getting it (I backed this, too! w00t!).
Check out the trailer:
In Spirittea, you play as a writer who has moved to a small town in the countryside in hopes that the change of scenery will help you finish writing your book.
Unfortunately for you, this particular town has been going through some difficult times due to natural disasters, strange accidents and mysterious occurrences.
After drinking from an ancient teapot you gain the ability to temporarily see into the spirit world only to discover that the town is haunted by a bunch of angry spirits. It is up to you to re-open the old bath house on the mountain where the spirits once rested, and to search high and low to find and convince them to soak their stress away.
- Locate Spirits – Finding mischievous and angry spirits around town and inviting them to relax in your bath house is a major component of Spirittea. Every spirit will have a preferred place where they can be found, and will have different criteria for calming them. It could be as simple as giving a spirit a jar of peanut butter, or as difficult as following clues to dig up their lost treasure. Think of other creature-capturing style games, but replace combat with more of a puzzle element, and instead of randomly finding a creature in the tall grass you have to actively follow clues or rumors which can be both time and seasonally dependent.
- Bath House Management – The second major component of Spirittea is managing the bath house. Spirits that you have previously found and invited to the bath house will show up randomly at the entrance, and it will be your job to ensure they have an enjoyable bathing experience. A variety of factors can affect their overall experience. For instance, spirits all belong to a particular season (spring, summer, fall or winter) and typically prefer to sit near spirits of certain seasons more than others. At the end of their bath, they will reward the player with money depending on how pleased they were with their overall bathing experience.
- Befriending Locals – In Spirittea you live in a small town in the countryside. The town is home to many folks you can talk to, become friends with, and even do some activities together (such as fishing and bug catching). In fact, you’re encouraged to become friends with some of the locals so that together you can discover hidden activities and rare items!
- Fishing – Cast your line around the town to catch a variety of aquatic creatures depending on the season. You can even keep some in your house if you can get your hands on an aquarium!
- Bug Catching – Dust off your sun hat because there are a variety of creepy crawlies to catch! Some are slow and simple to catch while others will test your reflexes and bug-awareness.
- Digging for Treasure – The area in and around the small town has a rich history that has been, for the most part, undiscovered. Bring your shovel, because there are maps, clues, spirit tomes, and relics to be discovered!
- Customize Your Character – In Spirittea you can customize your character as you like. Once your character is created you can purchase new clothes and accessories at the local shop, with some items only available for a limited time.
- Figuring Collecting – Like many people, some of the townsfolk in Spirittea love to collect things. Choosing to spend your money on new clothes, repairing a room in the bath house, or on a few figurines from the gacha machine in town isn’t always an obvious choice. Some townsfolk will even offer to trade figurines with you, so it never hurts to buy a few. That hole in the floor can wait, right?
- Gathering Tea – You thought it was as simple as paying money for tea leaves? No way, you’ve got to earn that tea! In this mini-game you will take control of one of the townsfolk, Tifa, in retro-styled game where you must gather tea leaves and avoid the troublesome local wildlife.
- The Arcade Cabinet – As you might have guessed, I like to include variety in my games. The arcade cabinet, though out of order at the start of the game, it will eventually be fixed and will provide another means for you to enjoy your time in Spirittea.
Look forward to playing Spirittea when it launches on the Nintendo Switch some time this summer.
Thank you for stopping by Nintendo Link for all of your gaming news and updates! What do you think of this Kickstarter game finally coming to the hybrid console? Are you excited? Let us know in the comments below! Happy gaming, everyone.
What's Your Reaction?
My name is Jason Capp. I am a husband, father, son, and brother, and I am a gamer, a writer, and a wannabe pro wrestler. It is hard to erase the smile on this simple man.